Tuesday 4 December 2012

Why fat jokes hurt my feelings.

I've been trying to write this post for a few weeks now. It always ends up being too preachy or sounding a little bit naff. I'll just tell it to you straight: fat jokes really hurt my feelings.

I can recall almost every time someone has made a comment about my weight. I can remember who they were, I remember where we were and I can recall who was standing by. I remember exactly who asked me if I actually did any exercise during morning assembly in year 3 at St Ives North. I remember who told me I could use the exercise after offering to drop pamphlets off for something school related in front of the whole of year 6 at St Ives Primary. I remember laughing along with everyone else to hide my hurt.



And I'm far from perfect! I know I've jumped on the bandwagon. I know I've giggled at jokes about someones Mama being so fat. And you know what else, I'm sure I've even hurt peoples feelings by commenting on their weight too. There we go, I said it, I'm just as judgemental and horrible as everyone else saying horrible things about people that don't deserve horrible things to be said about (huh?). And I'm so sorry if I ever have. There's no excuse and I was just saying mean things to try and deflect the attention away from myself. What a jerk!



But why has society constructed an environment where we can make such hurtful statements about people without considering that persons feelings?

I certainly didn't choose to be overweight. I know that if I had a say in it I would have asked to be naturally athletic, healthy and fit but sometimes life's circumstances as well as genetics play into how you develop and habits you learn.



I guess as you get older, you develop a better understanding of people, develop a bit more empathy and seek to understand people on a deeper level, or at least we can hope.

So I'm not going to preach and ask you not to laugh at 'yo Mama' jokes, I'm just asking you to consider how that persons Mama feels while you make fun of her weight...pretty upset that you'd make such harsh judgements about her without getting to know her I'd expect!


No comments:

Post a Comment