Sunday 18 November 2012

Setting goals (screw you S.M.A.R.T)

After I started training, Paul introduced the idea of setting goals to me. I've never been much of a goal setter more of a go-with-the-flow-er but in abiding by my 'listen to everything Paul has to say' rules, I came up with ideas around what my goals would be.

I started to work on some ideas about what I would like to achieve along the lines of losing weight, being able to look pregnant when pregnant (so I can walk down the street and force strangers to rub my belly like a mad woman), having a sport I enjoy and feeling/looking good. So I revisited the idea of writing goals that a S.M.A.R.T (hooray 5 years of study has paid off!).


My first goal was around weight. This meant I'd aim for a specific weight (70kgs),weighing myself every Sunday morning and achieving this over a period of approximately a year. I would do so by training 4-5 times a week and eating well (I can't be bothered checking whether that meets the stringent S.M.A.R.T criteria...but you get the idea!)

Instead of going through all my goals according to S.M.A.R.T (mainly coz I'm concerned my goals aren't S.M.A.R.T at all but more importantly if I have to type S.M.A.R.T one more time, I might go mental!) I'll tell you how I wrote my goals.

Basically I came up with a goal and then wrote it as if it had happened and described how I felt at the point my goal had been achieved. They go a little something like this:

I weigh 70kgs and I have never felt so good. My body is functioning amazingly and I'm full of energy. I love exercising four times a week because it makes me feel fit and healthy. When I look in the mirror I hardly recognise my own body. People comment on how good I look which makes me feel great because they can see how hard I've worked. I feel like I can achieve anything I put my mind to.

and

I box 3 times a week and I have enough skill and confidence to be able to fight. I am so happy I have found a sport that I enjoy and want to pursue. I love that I can participate in a sport that I am good at while also being able to continue to improve. I have made great friends through boxing and look forward to going to classes.

and

I fit into size 12 jeans and I'm so excited I might explode. When I look in the mirror I can't believe it's me I'm looking back at. I'm so proud of myself for all the hard work I have done.

These are just a vague idea of what my goals were. I wrote them out, stuck them next to my bed and read them every night before I go to sleep and every morning before I get out of bed.

In retrospect, maybe there isn't a lot of S.M.A.R.T elements to this goal setting method but it certainly helped me...i think it might have something to do with being able to visualise the end result OR maybe it's boiling it back to accountability and solidifying a goal on a piece of paper where you mixed in some emotion makes you feel like you have to work towards it.

Whatever it is I recon it's worth a try!

In other news, I'm addicted to drawing inspiration from Rocky (even tho I've only seen the first film where you don't get to see much boxing). Here is a cheesy quote to get the motivation flowing...

Tune in next time for some photo evidence that justifies why I love eating well and exercising.

No comments:

Post a Comment